We’re celebrating cherries! In honor of National Cherry Month take a look back at our fact-filled Bon Appetit Wednesday! Cherry Clafoutis for Cherry Blossom Season, including a mouth-watering recipe for Cherry Clafoutis at the end of the post.
Of course, we’re not just bringing you one delicious cherry recipe today! Enjoy the recipe below for an ancient Cherry Honey Drink from Russia. Not only is it delicious, but it has detoxifying properties to help you fight cold and flu season. This drink was consumed by the nobility in Russia for thousands of years. The best versions were said to be found in monasteries where the monks devoted their time to perfecting the nectar.
Cherry Honey Drink
Recipe courtesy of Street Directory.
- 1 lb. (16 ounces) of honey
- 1 cups of water
- 2 lbs. of cherries
- Combine honey and water in a sauce pan.
- Boil, stirring regularly and taking froth off the top.
- Place well-washed cherries without pits in a bottle with a narrow neck and pour warm syrup into the bottle.
- Cover the bottle with a wet sheet and leave in a warm place for three days to ferment.
- Cork the neck with a sackcloth and put in the cellar.
- You can taste this honey beverage three months later. It gets better with age.
 Russian Beverages Recipe. (n.d.). Retrieved February 02, 2016, from http://www.streetdirectory.com/food_editorials/beverages/beverages/russian_beverages_recipe.html