In preparation for Valentine’s Day, today we are celebrating the rose. You may not think of the rose as a food, but we assure you it is an ancient culinary treat. In fact, the rose has been cultivated since ancient times as a source of food, medicine and for perfume. In some cultures, rose gardens were considered important croplands, much like orchards. Read our post, The Rose in History: Power, Beauty and the Sweet Smell of Success, for a fascinating history of this beautiful, fragrant and delicious flower. And once you’ve learned all about the rose’s past, you’re going to want to indulge in some rose cuisine. Look no further! We’re bringing you an exotic and delightful recipe for an ancient Thai Rose Salad. This Valentine’s Day, don’t just shower your love with a bouquet of roses. Serve up this dish redolent with flavor and flair!
Thai Rose Salad
Recipe courtesy of food52.com
For the Dressing
- 2 tablespoons of Thai roasted chili paste
- Fish sauce
- Castor sugar
- Lime juice
For the salad
- 1 chicken breast, boiled and torn into long pieces
- 1 handful of prawns, blanched and refreshed
- 3 shallots, sliced lengthways, deep fried
- 2 handfuls of white rose petals, gently washed and dried
- Freshly roasted peanuts, crushed
For the Dressing
- Work the roasted chili paste in a pestle and mortar add fish sauce, sugar and lime juice, mix well to combine without any lumps,taste and adjust seasoning.
Make the Salad
- In a bowl add all of the other ingredients, adding the delicate rose petals last.
- Dress with the dressing, gently toss to combine and serve immediately, garnished with rose petals.
 Paterson, A. (2004). A history of the fragrant rose. London: Little Books.