October is a month packed with celebrations of culinary delights. Last week we sampled the ancient and delicious history of seafood and today we’re honoring our sweet tooth. Humanity has always loved to indulge in something deliciously decadent. From Cleopatra’s favorite Tiger Nut Sweets to the Mesopotamian Palace Cakes of Ur, there are so many wondrous ways to enjoy dessert spiced with a bit of antiquity. Below you’ll find the recipe for Tiger Nut Sweets, also called Dulcis Coccora, along with a list of some of our favorite Bon Appetit Wednesday dessert recipes. Happy National Dessert Day!
Tiger Nut Sweets (Dulcis Coccora)
- 1 pound of fresh pitted dates
- Some water
- 2 tablespoons of cinnamon powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of cardamom powder
- 4 tablespoons of roughly chopped walnuts
- A little honey
- 4 tablespoons of finely chopped almonds
- Mash the dates with water to a rough paste.
- Add cinnamon, cardamom powder and walnuts, blend well.
- Roll into to balls, coat in honey and sprinkle the finely chopped almonds over them.